Boson’s Mate Higgs

by ShadowStalker on January 19, 2005 · 9 comments

in Announcements,Sci-Tech

Physics is chock full of paradoxes.  Most people don’t realize that we do that on purpose to sound smart.  You wouldn’t believe how many chicks go for the line, “Careful with that olive; it’s both a particle and a wave, so your mouth might diffract it onto the floor.” Give it a try sometime.  My personal favorite pickup line is, “Right now, thousands of physicists worldwide are trying to figure out why you’re so massive.” It makes a girl feel special, ya’ know?I found this article on New Scientist hinting that a currently popular theory of mass, the Higgs field, can be explained with quantum entanglement.  The idea is that the Higgs bosons are entangled and somehow “slow down” other particles.  I don’t know about this.  The man with the plan, Vlatko Vedral, claims a similar effect can explain why magnets float above superconductors.  He claims a current of entangled electrons slows the photons of the magnetic field.

I don’t know about this.  I can’t afford a subscription to Physical Review Letters, so I can’t read Vedral’s paper about the superconductor phenomenon.  The whole idea of the Higgs field makes me a little wary; it’s almost like another ether.  But the article gets extra points for using the unlikely phrase, “photons in treacle.” Yeah, I’ll have some of that, please.

1 .alphamonkey. January 19, 2005 at 9:16 pm

I’ve warned you before about using this blog as a platform to spout your religious mumbo-jumbo, mister.

2 Just Plain Bob January 19, 2005 at 9:59 pm

Terry Pratchett was the first to use talk of light particles in treacle. His explanation for it was the dense magic field around the edges of the Discworld. it slows light down.

3 Davion January 19, 2005 at 10:36 pm

so what you’re saying is that you don’t know about this?

4 Just Plain Bob January 19, 2005 at 11:03 pm

Hey! Wow! Look! It’s Davion!

…being completely incomprehensible! what are you talking about?

5 Davion January 19, 2005 at 11:44 pm

it’s obvious to everyone that i’m talking about the weak interaction between carrier particles.  Geeez some people.

6 Shadow Stalker January 20, 2005 at 1:50 pm

I’m saying I’m not sure that I believe the Higgs field exists, and I’m even less sure that entanglement can explain superconductivity (though that would be very cool).  Since I don’t have access to the paper, I can’t make a judgement.

7 The Good Reverend January 19, 2005 at 11:25 pm

All I know is that the Bosons are taking the Superbowl this year.  GO BOSONS!

8 Just Plain Bob January 23, 2005 at 2:07 am

forget you, man. Hydrogen is bringing it home this time! they’ve been training hard.. i’ve heard they’ve been working so well together, they’re a bose-einstein condensate.

9 RunAmok September 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for the entertaining and informative post. Entertaining comments, too. Glad I ran into this page.

One of these days I’m gonna find a guy who knows how to use lines like those… *sigh* Meanwhile, I’m still reading about bosons.