Gay Ole’ Time in Springfield

by alphamonkey on January 21, 2005 · 17 comments

in Entertainment,Sexuality

I found this story on the net announcing the Simpsons will out one of their characters this season.  Now, we already know about Waylon Smithers, but who else might be playing for the other team?

1 fealty2dahriyah January 21, 2005 at 12:05 pm

my guess, Nelson. serious father mother issues, fairly mainstream character, and hell I said HA HA.

if they lame this one up, i fear it is the end for the simpson’s. and then they can bring on the movie, they say they won’t produce till the shows over. why do I get the feeling the movie isn’t going to be good… probably pessimism.

2 Shadow Stalker January 21, 2005 at 6:22 pm

Maybe because the show isn’t any good.

3 Thundarr January 21, 2005 at 1:07 pm

Wouldn’t it be cool if it was Ned Flanders.  I mean, the most religious guy on the show and he’s a [shock&awe] homosexual [/shock&awe] I can just see the protesters already getting lined up.

4 mrcookieface January 21, 2005 at 1:38 pm

Patty Bouvier.  Obviously.

5 Shadow Stalker January 21, 2005 at 6:24 pm

Does anybody really care?  I didn’ know anyone watched the simpson’s anymore.  And how will outing a character affect anyone anywhere?  There won’t even be an actor that has to go on talk shows and get questions about what it’s like to play a gay character.

6 fealty2dahriyah January 26, 2005 at 11:46 am

so it doesn’t matter if you have a gay cartoon character?????? tell that to our new edumacation chief.

7 fealty2dahriyah January 21, 2005 at 6:30 pm

a gay cartoon character on a very popular maintstream show… fox is going to love all the attention from this.

the simpson’s has definitely past it’s time… but i still try and catch new episodes.

8 Shadow Stalker January 21, 2005 at 7:04 pm

Simpson’s did it.

9 Souped_up_on_Jihad January 21, 2005 at 6:55 pm

I’m betting Lenny will try to put the moves on Carl. Who knows how Carl will react.

10 .alphamonkey. January 21, 2005 at 7:05 pm

Does it matter? This is just a useless Sweeps Weeks stunt to convince advertisers that the viewers aren’t leaving in droves. (note to advertisers: They are and with good reason)

It’s almost embarassing how bad these new episodes are. If you want a real test of how far they’ve fallen, look at the Season 5 DVD.  The throwaway jokes from that season are better than the punchlines from the current seasons.

Down with the Simpsons, up with Futurama!

11 fealty2dahriyah January 24, 2005 at 2:25 pm

so sorry simpsons cant be like every other great cartoon of our generation and not be completely appreciated until it is dissolved and then they try and revive it years later only to make it utter and complete shit…

revive the futurama, let family guy die

12 .alphamonkey. January 24, 2005 at 2:57 pm

I disagree. I don’t think anyone disputes the geniusness of the Simpson’s during the height of their run. (Seasons 4-8 if you’re wondering)

13 fealty2dahriyah January 24, 2005 at 4:57 pm

that is kind of my point, simpsons unlike most “art” and unlike most of my favorite cartoons, was appreciated too much during it’s time. it has redefined our tastes for comedy and cartoons, and now it can’t keep up….

that and a bunch of voiceoveregomaniacs have gotten super greedy and ithas taken some of that special joy away.

14 .alphamonkey. January 24, 2005 at 5:09 pm

Too appreciated? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard all day. The only time something could be over appreciated would be when it wasn’t worth the praise it was bestowed. The Simpsons surpassed it’s critics.

And the Simpsons COULD keep up if Fox was willing to drop the dime to pay for the writing staff.

Yes, it sure was awful that the people who define so much of the Simpsons wanted to get a fairer piece of that lucrative pie. They earned it, and they deserved to get it.

15 fealty2dahriyah January 24, 2005 at 5:49 pm

is being too appreciated shit? I ment to follow that statement up w/ calling them michael jordan or wayne gretsky. they set the bar, it doesn’t mean they have to keep setting it, but it does mean they need to know when to quit or risk what they created…

it’s simpson’s wide appeal that has kept it alive in this frankenstein state is has been for a few years. it is the fat pill popping elvis of cartoons. the shows not as good, but you pay twice as much and still love it.

16 Shadow Stalker January 25, 2005 at 12:33 am

I don’t think it has to do with being appreciated or not.  There are still advertising dollars to be had, end of story.

17 fealty2dahriyah January 25, 2005 at 1:16 pm

once again, death by greed.