Your Employer Wants to Know If You Smoke at Home

by Souped_up_on_Jihad on January 24, 2005 · 11 comments

in News

If you smoke and work at Weyco, Inc in Lansing, MI your time is short. The company recently fired four employees due to their refuasal to take a test to determine if they smoke. This brief article tells the story of the firings. It should be interesting to see what happens when this company is ineveitably taken to court. It will be a personal right to privacy issue to keep an eye on.

Smoking obviously adds to the cost of health care, but where do you draw the line of personal freedom to do what you want on your free time and your employers rights to be concerned about you do in your free time?

1 fealty2dahriyah January 25, 2005 at 2:09 pm

hell one of my last employers I had to take a physical and my health insurance costs were based on that.

and I hate to tell everyone but these PC anti smoking people are going to make it all but illegal to smoke eventually. see these bastards are smart and use the typical moral majority battlecry of “save the children.” what I don’t get is why these bastards don’t attack the heavy polution output companies and a president who backed us out of the kyoto protocol. oh that’s right, it’s easy to attack the evil of tobacco since that dog has been beat and shot already, why not squeeze the blood out of it.

2 Shadow Stalker January 25, 2005 at 6:11 pm

I don’t care about the children, I just don’t like eating in a cloud of smoke.  It makes me sick to my stomach and gives me a headache.  I don’t like having to shower after I’ve been to a bar because my hair and clothes reek of smoke.  If it were up to me, I’d ban smoking in public buildings, except in isolated, well-ventilated rooms.

3 .alphamonkey. January 25, 2005 at 6:12 pm

Which would be okay except for your caveat that all clothing beneath the belly button should be banned as well.

4 fealty2dahriyah January 25, 2005 at 6:31 pm

ummm if there was a big enough market for nonsmoking bars they would exist… and guess what… they do. so go there. and if your wondering why no one but annoying bastards go there… it’s because they suck and everyone there is uptight… leave our space alone… make your own if you dont like it.

5 Cananopie January 25, 2005 at 8:29 pm

Hey Shadow Stalker. Welcome to New York! You’re free to walk anywhere you want here indoors and not smell a single cigarette… because even when the law said in restaurants there needed to be a whole seperate room for a smoking section that wasn’t enough.

Then you weren’t allowed to smoke anywhere. Not in bars or pool halls. Not even in those expensive smoking rooms. But now- now you can smoke in them again, SO LONG AS YOU PAY FOR A SMOKING PERMIT. How ridiculous is that? They ban smoking indoors smoking so that they can charge restaurants for smoking rooms.

I agree with smoking rooms in restaurants. But in poolhalls, bars, or clubs you just have to get used to smoke. Like people have for the last couple hundred years. Otherwise the government will sit there and profit from it. America needs to stop bitching about everything so much. It’s annoying.

6 Shadow Stalker January 26, 2005 at 3:09 pm

I lived in California for six years and got used to being able to breathe easily.  I guess spending money on inhalers and bronchitis is the least I can do to protect others’ rights.

7 .alphamonkey. January 26, 2005 at 3:16 pm

You Moonies really are sissies, you know that?

8 fealty2dahriyah January 26, 2005 at 3:37 pm

I guess we should so something about the humidity during the summer too. we wouldn’t want you to have another asthma attack. if we catered to everyone like this,life would suck.

once again… they have places for you to go… thats the beauty of a free market, your desires can be purchased at different places.

9 fealty2dahriyah January 26, 2005 at 12:52 pm

just go to california w/ all the douches.

I don’t tell everyone they can’t us asparatin or any other nonsugar sweetener because it contains free radicals and you will get cancer and my insurance goes up. I don’t tell you not to use deoderant or antipersperant because it contains aluminum zircromium which is a non causer of alzheimers. I dont tell make you quit driver Hummers and anything else w/ a hemi, because it makes the air so thick I can’t breathe and gives the air that nice greenish glow during sunset.

we all do shit that pisses off someone and impairs their health(mental or physcial)… suck it up.

10 PEPÉ January 26, 2005 at 2:00 pm

I heard the “Boss” in question on CBC radio last night. The guy wuold drive me to smoke and use drugs! I would organize his workplace with the nastiest union I could find.

Worst thing is… I hate cigarettes.

11 Cananopie January 27, 2005 at 11:25 pm

I dunno who checks this far back in the posts. (Actually I know Alphamonkey does because I accidentally didn’t uncheck the “Notify me of follow up comments” box at the bottom and I’m still recieving e-mail about that Muppets Ma-na-ma-na video…And I know I could stop it, but I think it’s funny)

ANYWAYS… heres a follow up.