What this site needs.. is more cowbell!

by The Good Reverend on February 3, 2005 · 13 comments

in Audio Visual,Entertainment

I know I will have dissenters right here on the Buddha, but I frickin’ love Saturday Night Live.  As far as television-viewing goes, it is among my earliest childhood memories (along with Casper the Friendly Ghost, Electric Company, and 3-2-1 Contact).  I didn’t even get all the jokes at age 5, but SNL was the reason I got to stay up late with my parents on Saturday nights.  I grew up on this stuff.

And I don’t know how anyone can deny the comedic talents of some of their greats – Belushi (not so fast, Jim.. I’m talking about your brother.  You are talentless and need to hang it up), Murphy, Farley, or Ferrell.

Okay, I just realized you could care less about the Good Reverend Nostalgia Hour.  Focus.. anyway, a few years back, Ferrell, the great Christopher Walken (cock of the walk, baby!), and the SNL writers converged to create The Perfect Storm – a VH1 Behind the Music of the Blue Oyster Cult.  I have this on my Best of Will Ferrell dvd, but have been looking for the web version for awhile.  I found it tonight and announced the completion of my quest for the Grail to Davion, who immediately IM’d me back, “yeah, already seen it.. it’s here [url], here [url].. oh here’s another one [url]”.  Thanks… dick.  So I’ll amend this by saying, “For those of us that actually work when at our jobs instead of surfing the net all day, this is the Holy Grail… if by “us” we are to mean “me”.

Anyway… I got a fever!  And the only prescription… is more cowbell!

By the way, my sincerest congratulations to Christopher Walken, who has been dubbed The Patron Saint of the Cowbell.

1 Thundarr February 3, 2005 at 11:34 am

Is it just me, or does anybody else not get this undying devotion to a a oncetime bit player on SNL?  He was good as Alex Trebeck and James Lipton, but even Colin Quinn had a couple of good roles!  This guy is Dana Carvey, pure and simple.  He’s only as good as the material he’s playing, and he doesn’t have the talent to rise above godawful writing.  Quit treating this guy like Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy, John Belushi, Dennis Miller, or Dan Ackroyd.  He belongs in this list: Chris Farley, Dana Carvey, Jimmie Fallon and Tim Meadows.

2 .alphamonkey. February 3, 2005 at 1:42 pm

Robin Williams wasn’t an SNL castmember.

3 Thundarr February 3, 2005 at 5:17 pm

I didn’t mean to imply he was, though he has hosted.  My point was you are treating Farrell as if he was in the caliber of talent (although since everyone else I listed was a SNL vet, I can see why it would read that way).

4 .alphamonkey. February 3, 2005 at 5:44 pm

I don’t see how you could possibly come to that conclusion based on two posts. The only other name I mentioned was Bill Murray which as a style comparison.  Does that mean I think Ferrell’s as good as Murray? No.

Get over it already.

5 Thundarr February 3, 2005 at 8:39 pm

Dude, take a banana sized chill pill, will ya’?  I wasn’t callin’ you out or anything I was just pointing out that when both you and Rev make Will Ferrell posts on the same day, it certainly seems that you are celebrating his “genius” since I haven’t found any other posts of SNL cast memebers.  Whether or not you meant to make the point, in doing so you certainly implied it.  I just thought that it was strange, seeing as in the long SNL line, I would rate him as average, not great.  Now go suck on a banana, good monkey.

6 .alphamonkey. February 4, 2005 at 2:54 am

Chill Pill?  Did Peabody set the WayBack Machine for 1993?

And we (well, I) didn’t imply anything.  You inferred it.

7 The Good Reverend February 3, 2005 at 1:10 pm

1.  I wouldn’t call it “undying devotion” exactly.

2.  Colin Quinn had no good roles.

3.  I really can’t think of anyone that can “rise above bad writing”.  If the writing’s bad, you’re going to look bad – plain and simple.

4.  I don’t really “worship” and of the people you mentioned.  My words were “[SNL’s] greats” – most SNL watchers would probably put him in that category.

8 Thundarr February 3, 2005 at 5:24 pm

Those that can rise above bad writing (i.e. can be good in in very bad roles/movies/scenes): Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Tom Cruise, Bill Murray, John Cusack, Kevin Kline, Charlize Theron, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Johnny Depp, and Harrison Ford are just a few I can think of at this moment.

9 The Good Reverend February 5, 2005 at 6:46 pm

2 words.  “Analyze This”.  I’m sure I could come up with one for every actor you mentioned.

10 Davion February 3, 2005 at 2:27 pm

I LUV THIS VIDEO

11 cowgirl March 25, 2005 at 2:46 am

This man is so damn sexy. He is the type that could tie me up on a table, cut my clothes off with a knife and walk away. I would be left laying there so damn turned on in every way….Heh…

12 The Good Reverend March 25, 2005 at 12:38 pm

Okay, you win for sexiest comment of the day.  Well done.

13 redkillmachine October 20, 2005 at 7:49 pm

Christopher Walken is God.